When you sign up for a membership or order something online, you might find that the shipping company will make multiple attempts to deliver your package. You may be worried and ask yourself, What does “delivery attempted” mean? Usually, this is a good sign, meaning that they will keep trying to get the package to you until they succeed. But once in a while, the delivery attempt might mean something else. Read on to know more about it.
What Does Delivery Attempted Mean?
Delivery attempted means that the post office attempted to deliver a parcel, but was unable to do so because the recipient was not at their address. The parcel will be returned to the sender.
Why Do Delivery Attempts Happen?
You have a new address
If you move, it’s normal for the post office to make multiple attempts to deliver your parcel. This is because they need to update their records with your new address.
You have changed your address online
If you have updated your shipping address online, then you will see multiple delivery attempts as well. The post office needs to update the information on its database.
You did not receive a delivery notification email
If you did not get a confirmation email from the shipping company that they had tried to deliver your parcel, then it’s because there was an error in the email address entered by you, and/or they couldn’t find the email account linked with your account.
Your recipient didn’t receive a notification email either
This is another reason why you may not receive a confirmation email from the shipping company that they tried to deliver your package: there was an error in their system and they couldn’t find out whether or not the parcel had been delivered.
It’s been more than 30 days since you placed an order
If you have placed an order for a product that’s not part of your regular monthly order, then the post office will not send out any reminder emails to let you know that they have tried to deliver your parcel. If this is the case, then it could mean that you will never receive your parcel because it is over 30 days since you ordered.
Your package was returned to the sender
If a parcel was returned to the sender because of an error in their system, then they will make multiple attempts to deliver the package again before they return it back to the sender (the post office). This may happen if there was a typo in their database entry or if the recipient doesn’t live at the address listed on their account.
The package was refused by customs or lost at customs
If this happens, then there was either a problem with the information-postage notification. So, if you have not received a notification email after 30 days, it’s because your parcel is still with the post office.
Your parcel was returned to the sender
If you were to receive a delivery failure notification for your parcel, and then the post office returned it to the sender (the shipping company), then this would be another reason why you wouldn’t receive a confirmation email from the shipping company that they attempted to deliver your package.
What Is The Advantage Of Delivery Attempted?
- The advantage of Delivery Attempted is that it does not have the risk of failing in case the message was lost. By having the “delivery attempted” flag set, you know that if you fail to deliver a message, it will be retried later.
- Another advantage is that, if the delivery attempts are successful, you can use this information to implement a rate limiting policy which prevents sending very large messages.
- The last advantage is that, if you have multiple recipients for a single outgoing message, setting a delivery attempted flag on all of them will result in all of them getting delivered at once (even if one or more of them fail).
- In case your client supports it and you want to implement an API based on Delivery Attempted and Delivery Successful flags, then this will result in an API call being made multiple times as per the occurrence of Delivery Attempted and Delivery Successful flags set on different messages.
- You can also use Delivery Attempted in combination with Delivery Successful to implement a rate-limiting policy which allows sending a maximum of a specified number of messages per second.
- You can also use Delivery Attempted in combination with Delivery Failure to implement a rate-limiting policy that allows sending only a specified number of messages per second, but does not allow any retries (as per occurrence of both “delivery failed” and “delivery attempted” flags set).
- You can also use Delivery Attempted in combination with Retry Info to implement an API call which returns information about the delivery attempts for the message(s) sent for the given time interval.
- You can also use Delivery Attempted in combination with Retry Info and Rate Limit Info to implement an API call which returns information about the delivery attempts for the message(s) sent for the given time interval, including details like: For how many times it was attempted and how many times it was successful and if any retry attempt was made and if any retry b was made, etc.
- Finally, you can use Delivery Attempted in combination with Retry Info to implement an API call which returns information about the delivery attempts for the message(s) sent for the given time interval and also includes details like: For how many times it was attempted, how many times it was successful and if any retry a was made and if any retry b was made, etc.
What Is The Disadvantage Of Delivery Attempted?
- The delivery attempt may be delayed due to reasons like drop in traffic, power failure, road block, or any other reasons.
- The delivery attempt may be unsuccessful due to various reasons like wrong address information, wrong carrier name, wrong destination, etc.
- If the delivery attempt is successful you will have to wait for the package to reach your door step and this may take time depending on your location and the carrier office.
- Another disadvantage is that if there is delay in delivery you are not sure whether it will reach by the date you have mentioned while placing order or not.
- If the package is delivered successfully you will have to wait for delivery confirmation and this may take some time.
- Another disadvantage is that if the package is not delivered successfully you will have to contact your carrier office again and this may take some time too depending on your location and the carrier office.
- If there is no shipping charge, it will be very difficult for you to find any courier service provider who can deliver the package for free of cost.
- The service providers like FedEx, UPS, DHL, or any other courier services are charging a lot of money for delivering a packages which may be expensive in case of international shipment or any other shipments which are very heavy in weight or volume they are also charging a lot of money on top of that so it’s better to choose a shipping company who offers them free shipping services as well as they will be able to offer their services at affordable rates.
Tips To Know If Your Package Has Been Successfully Delivered
- Check the tracking number on your registered e-mail account. The tracking number will be sent to you by the platform.
- Check the tracking number on the package itself by finding the address label on the package, or simply by checking it against a map of where you have sent it to.
- If you have not received your package after 24 hours, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you still haven’t received your package after 3 days (from our last contact with you), we will assume that there has been a problem with delivery and ask for more information about it, so please take note of this and reply to us as soon as possible!
When you receive a delivery attempt notification, it’s important to track your package to see if it’s been successfully delivered. Delivery attempts are a good sign that the shipper is actively trying to get your package to you. However, delivery attempts or “attempted deliveries” do not necessarily mean that the shipper was unsuccessful at delivering your package. It may just mean that the delivery person made multiple attempts to deliver the package at different times and/or locations. Delivery attempts are not an indication of a failed delivery; they are just another step in the shipping process.