Whether you’re trying to bring some green into your home or are looking for new ways to add greenery to your office, these potted plants make a great addition. But if you have ants in your house, you need to take measures before placing them anywhere near potted plants. Ants are naturally drawn to anything that has honey or sugar. In fact, ants are known for their ability to find sweets from miles away. Once they find anything sweet, they will call their friends and family members to help collect and store the sweet for future use with the help of their queen ant. You may not see them but once you know how ants do that, it’s going to be much easier to avoid them from getting anywhere near your potted plants at home or office.
How To Get Rid Of Ants From Potted Plants?
- Start by making sure that your potted plants are cleaned from any leftover food or spilled water. You must also make sure that they’re washed with clean water and dried completely before placing them where you want to.
- You can also use commercial ant baits to get rid of the ants. These baits come in a variety of forms, but one thing is for certain, they’re all toxic to ants. So make sure that you don’t place them anywhere near your potted plants or anything edible in the house.
- If you don’t want to use toxic sprays or baits, then study your potted plant first before deciding on how to get rid of ants from potted plants. The reason for this is that some plants are more appealing to ants than others and some are even poisonous if eaten by the ants. So if you have any potted plants that are poisonous and attractive at the same time, it’s best to not place them anywhere near your other plants until you get rid of the ants in your home first.
- If you have pets at home, then make sure that they don’t track any ant bait back into the house as well as eat anything left behind by dead ants outside either!
- Make sure that all areas around your house are clean and free from food debris as well so that there won’t be anything for the ants to eat and live on.
- If you are placing your potted plants outside, make sure that you place them where there is shade and not in a sunny area.
Why Are There So Many Ants In My House?
- First, you need to know what attracts ants in the first place. The most common cause of ants getting into your house is food. Ants get attracted by the smell of food and if they smell any food inside your house, they will try to find it. They are scavengers and don’t mind living off the leftovers of humans.
- Water is another thing that attracts ants. Ants get attracted by water not because they need it but because it’s a source of food for them. If there is a leak or some water source or if you leave out empty glasses or bottles, ants will come over to drink from it and take advantage of the free meal that you’ve left for them in your house.
- Temperature also plays an important role in attracting ants into your home. Warmth can attract ants just as much as food does and this is why you see more ants outside during summer than winter months even though the temperature may not be too different between those two seasons during different parts of the year depending on where you live in the world!
- Finally, dead insects are another thing that can attract ants into your home because they carry a scent that attracts other scavenger animals such as birds and bats who would normally eat them but find it hard to reach their bodies when they die on top of high trees or poles away from their nests and colonies in order to avoid other predators from eating them before they have time to eat their prey. Ants, on the other hand, don’t have such a problem and can reach these dead insects from anywhere in your yard or even from the roofs of your house.
- So, now that you know what attracts ants into your home and how they do it, it’s time to find out what you can do to deter them from getting into your house in the first place!
- Once you have found and removed whatever is attracting ants into your home, you need to make sure that there are no more ways for them to get inside your house by sealing off any cracks or holes around windows or doors using silicone sealant. You may also want to check if there are any leaks under taps or pipes inside your house that might be attracting water sources for ants into your home!
- If you have pets at home who like to eat ants, make sure that they have plenty of toys and places where they can play and run around freely so that they don’t leave food lying around on the floor which will attract ants back again once the food has been eaten by pets!
- If you think that some of these steps won’t work for you because of certain reasons such as living in a place where there are many trees around with dead insects hanging on them or living in a warm climate where water is always available outside then try getting rid of all sources of food inside your house by keeping all food in airtight containers or in the fridge and by cleaning up all spills of food and drinks immediately.
How To Tell Which Type Of Ant You Have
Fire ants are among the most common species of ants found in America. They are reddish brown in color and have a very painful sting. Fire ants are also known for their tendency to attack in groups. Because of this, fire ants can be very dangerous to children and pets.
Harvester Ants live mainly in the western half of the United States but have been found all over the country. They are black or a dark reddish brown color with a lighter colored abdomen and have a stinger that is different from other types of ant stings, which injects a poison that’s similar to bee venom.
Carpenter ants are considered pests because they cause structural damage by chewing through wood and creating tunnels inside your home or office building, which can lead to an infestation. These ants prefer moist wood that’s already been damaged by water or mold/mildew, such as rotting wood, so they can easily chew through it and make their way inside your home or office building where they will start building their nest inside your walls and furniture – causing more damage than you want to deal with on top of having an ant infestation problem!
Pharaoh ants aren’t actually native to the United States but have become a common household pest due to their ability to adapt quickly when introduced into a new environment. These ants are dark in color and have long, thin bodies. Pharaoh ants are known to be a tough species to get rid of because of how quickly they reproduce, which can lead to an infestation problem within no time at all.
Now that you know how to get rid of ants from potted plants, you can enjoy your greenery without having to worry about a swarm of ants destroying them. The best thing about these methods is that they don’t involve chemicals that can harm your indoor plants or yourself, which makes them all the more valuable. So if you have ants in your house, read these methods to get rid of them from potted plants.